Praise to Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi!
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya! | Arunachala Shiva!
SKILLFUL DEALING WITH DESIRES
Q: What is the best way of dealing with desires, with a view to getting rid of them — satisfying them or suppressing them?
Bhagavan: If a desire can be got rid of by satisfying it, there will be no harm in satisfying such a desire. But desires generally are not eradicated by satisfaction. Trying to root them out that way is like pouring spirits to quench a fire.
At the same time, the proper remedy is not forcible suppression, since such repression is bound to react sooner or later into forceful surging up with undesirable consequences.
The proper way to get rid of a desire is to find out “Who gets the desire? What is its source?” When this is found, the desire is rooted out and it will never again emerge or grow.
– Day by Day, p. 197
- Sri Ramana Ashram – https://www.sriramanamaharshi.org
- Robert Adams – http://robert-adams.info
- Reinhard Jung – https://www.reinhard-jung.com/english/
- David Godman – http://www.davidgodman.org
- Website dedicated to Sri Ramana – http://www.arunachala-ramana.org
- Live Images of Arunachala – http://www.arunachala-live.com
- Michael James – http://happinessofbeing.com